Wednesday, September 15, 2010

.FOOrD BLOrG. More Drinkies!!!

Someone recently asked me why I was blogging about food instead of posting my doodles or what have you. My answer is simple, I have been sampling the world wares of the snack kingdoms for awhile now and they all have a common denominator. That being every snack promises an experience. That is the hook and the bait for consumers to choose that particular snack over another. While one chip might promise that it will remind you of a baseball game where the bases are loaded nacho situation. Another chip will promise that you will think you are eating a loaded baked potato. There is your choice and please choose wisely. So for me, this experiment is less a report on odd snacks around the world and more about what they deliver in the realm of the promise of experience. See, everyone has different tastes but something that makes three different people want to vomit is an experience. Confused? In short, this is an experiment. Well lets get to it:

Ah yes, Ginger Beer is nothing new nor is Ginger Root Beer and there are several facsimiles of both. This particular ginger beer hails from Japan which has become my favorite snack and beverage destination. As I said earlier everyones tastes differ so you are really in the hands of the brew masters and their taste pallet with beers. Here is the breakdown:

1- Upon opening it smelled of an upscale beer. No real pronounced ginger notes to speak of which can be a good sign if you plan on drinking the whole bottle.

2-The flavor was that of an amber with a touch of a more dark beer with an earthy lash of ginger toward the finish.

3- Three of us tried this beverage and while Sarah did not care for it Kristin didn't seem to mind it nor did I. Step three in a nut shell, I finished the bottle.

4- Success, As a Ginger Beer it went down fine with no backfires or heartburn. Overall a fine drinking experience. Not to mention the cute owl on the label.
Ok remember when I was talking about three people wanting to vomit? I wasn't talking about the ginger beer. I was referring to TWO RIVERS Huckleberry cider.
I saw this and thought what a local delight this could be?!? Wow, was I wrong. So wrong that it is honestly hard for me to look at the bottle even.

1-It smelled like a sponge.

2-It tasted not like cider and not like Huckleberry.

3-Oh, that is what it tastes like-SPONGE. Yep sponge water from an old sponge that has been rung out by someone who doesn't wash their hands in the potty closet. Ok, maybe that is a tad too far but seriously all three of us were grossed out. To give credit it was Sarah who figured what the taste was and once she did we all couldn't drink it.

4- FAIL. I couldn't finish this experience instead it finished me. I stopped the experiment just passed the neck of the bottle.

In closure I would like to add that Sarah and I have noticed that our pallets do not prefer some wheat beers. When we go to steinhauses we notice that if it is a wheat and somewhat cloudy that our mouths interpret that taste as 'SPONGE WATER'. So perhaps this drink is great for people with those pallets and not for ours. All I know is for us those 'two rivers' to which the label refers could only mean for us two rivers of yerp springing from our throats. MMMMM taa taa ! Till next time.

1 comment:

dirk said...

Both of these beverages can be found at BELMONT STATION 4500 SE STARK PDX Or.