Sunday, December 19, 2010

.FOOrD BLOrG. My new favorite libation!!!

Let me start off this post by admitting that I have been thinking of stopping the blorg and going back to only illustrations. I thought this would be enjoyed by more people but I haven't heard much from anyone about even finding these little eats and drinks interesting. But if you are the one person who enjoys it don't fret I still have a few great things to report on. Now on to this impromptu post about my new passion in life. Flemish sour ales.

This is the first sour ale I found and I found it at Pastaworks on Hawthorne. It was 4 dollars for one 12 ounce bottle. Spendy? Yes. Worth it? Yes. I had heard about this type of beer but never sought it out because I heard that it has alot of cherry flavor and I don't like cherries. There are an impressive amount of information about the production of sour ales or beers online so I won't bother you with that because all you need to know is IT IS GOOD!
1- slight sweet nose.

2-Whoa. I was expecting a beery flavored beer. Not even close. A thin mouth feel not big bodied or foamy. Tiny bubbles enhance the light sour flavor.

3-This is like champagne almost. Sinfully delicious. It is good that this is only 5% alcohol because this goes down smooth. Being that it is so very refreshing and the complexity is so intriguing and sour that the second the flavor recedes from your pallette you go back for another drink.

This beverage was good but I had my sights set on the grandaddy of sour ales. See there is one place where they age the beer in giant casks and they are renouned for their beer craft. I am referring to Rodenbach. We made a special trip to Beer Mongers on Division and 12th and purchased the limited edition 2007 in a beautiful champagne type bottle for 16 bones.
Holy crap! If you are thinking that 16 bux is too much you are sooooo wrong. Ok so here is the thing, I like drinking beer because it is cold and refreshing. That is why I choose it over wine every time. You might be saying 'well, white wine is served cold." Yes, but my palette doesn't find white wine enjoyable. Champagne however is good BUT a sparkling red blows my mind. Rodenbach is like beer plus sparkling red. It is heavenly. If I was rich I would have this in my fridge at all times. This bevvy is sooo good that I just stood in the kitchen with my good friend Keith and we just stared at our glasses in between drinks of it. 16 dollars to share something special with friends is worth every penny. If you don't agree then chances are you are an a-hole. Sorry you had to find out that from a food blog.

Normally this is where I would break down the experience but there is no point. If you are still reading this buy it for yourself you deserve it and if you have a friend who likes beer or fine wine buy it for them. The flavor is sour yet complex with cranberry, cherry, oak notes....or something....I can't think about it anymore I am making myself drink crazy!!!!!!whew....sorry. Till next time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just so you know...Just because I don't comment, doesn't mean that I don't read your food reviews religiously. Seriously entertaining and educational with lol moments. You find some really strange sh** dude. Keep it up!