Thursday, October 21, 2010

.FOOrD BLOrG. BEERZIES BEERZIES BEERZIES

Recently while trying to find a place to eat lunch that is outside our current trend of food desires I discovered a beer mart that I did not know existed. Beer Mongers on 12th and Division in good ole PDX. Yeah, I was pretty excited and it turns out they have been open a year....which is weird that I have never heard of it. In any case I told Sarah and she said 'well, we better go!'. Yeah, awesome wife points!!!! So this edition of FOOrD BLOrG is some gems from that trip. Oh and the guest mouth is yet again the fantastic Dave. Here we go:
I know, I was excited too! Acai (ah say ee) beer? Oh how I have longed for antioxidants and beer in the same gulp. Gettin' good and healthy drunk right!?! Sure I could hold out for EMERGEN-C BREEZE or Jaeger NOW WITH OMEGA-3! But instead I bought this big boy.
1- The smell was not overly sweet or beery. I thought.

2- Tastes of berry. Not really tangible were the Acai notes. Both Dave, Sarah, and I agreed that
it was a stand alone beer unlike McMenamin's Ruby which needs some Terminator Stout in it.

3-Pretty delicious. We all three would drink it again. It looks dark in color but is rather light on the palette.

4- Little to no after taste. Granted I followed this beer with another type of beer but overall I recommend this bevvy to anyone who enjoys a big flavor fruity beer.

Lastly, the following picture is to illustrate the color for you all.
Next up we have a dark beer. Now I know it isn't even Halloween yet so drinking a beer called HUMBUG is a bit premature but Sarah liked the scary eyes on the label and frankly so did I.
This beer is dark. And normally I like to orchestrate my drinking like a well choreographed ballet of booze. Which would mean I start out heavy or strong and finnish light. However since Dave was over at this point I figured what the heck and opened this bottle up and split it into two cups. Two D's two cups!

1-Smells of soy sauce notes and the respectable bouquet of a winter ale.

2- Tastes of...well, the above mentioned culprits. Not sweet, not overly dry. Pretty one note depth wise. Not in a bad way since some beers, dark or otherwise really set out to do allot. Which isn't bad, I am not afraid of complexities just saying it was pretty smooth.

3- I don't know what to tell you other than I finished it. I think it may have been a bit late for Dave to have a meal beer but he didn't say anything bad about it.
4- A lingering dark beer melange. Artsy eh?

Lastly, sure go for it if dark beer is your bag. One was enough for me, thanks but I will take my four bucks somewhere else. In closure of this beverage here is a photo of the dark brew.
The third and final beer of this post was selected based on the demon on the bottle. I know this drink isn't difficult to come by. I have seen it in stores before but never was compelled to buy it for some reason. I mean I am cool with beer and demons and beer demons but for some reason never tried this. Well last night I gave this demon a run for its....demon....dollars. hmmm.
While the other beers were larger or BOUS (beers of unusual size) and there for more attractive in a way I still picked up this beer and dumped it into the fire swamp of my stomache.

1- A sweet beer smell. Didn't expect that from a demon. I expected scorned soul or the breath of the damned perhaps but sweet..huh?

2- Dry mid to light beer. Pungent but not skunky.

3- Gets smoother. Not amazing but not water beer either.

Overall, I don't see the connection between the demon and the beer. So as for a halloween brew I'd still recommend the obvious choice DEAD GUY. The placement of the demon seems like a way to dude up the brew which is a turn off for me. I will drink a bellini! I don't care if it looks fruity or not. But who knows, maybe Bawls will make a beer. Can't wait for that label!!!!

No comments: