Monday, March 28, 2011

.FOOrD BLOrG. . . Blatant Lies or awkward interpretations

Sometimes in the real world people can twist the meanings of things in order to make them fit their agenda. Now I won't get into specifics (don't want to offend) except one: People who look at dinosaur bones and think 'That never happened." There are people like that right? They look right at the thing in front of their face and then disagree with its very existence. Pretty deep for me I know but I mention those people because I just had that moment with the first snack. Please examine the candy below. (By the way, all three of todays treats were found in New York.)
See there, on the end! It says mints. Right? I see it, 15 Mints. Huh? Because when I opened the packaging I saw flat square Pez type candy. Ok. Then I put one in my mouth. The mouth feel was quite similar to that of a Pez. The flavor was that of a weak lemon. And so began my waiting game. I waited. And I waited. Then came the moment when I decided to chew it and see if the mint in question was lying in wait in the center. Nope No mint. HUHWHA? So I looked back at the lable. M-i (so far so good) n-t (ok that spells mint in the singular form) s. Yup, it says multiple mints. How is this possible? Do I not believe enough that there is in fact mint present? I shall try again. Yet there was no mint for me. Just gritty pressed candy disappointment. (or disappoint-MINT, see what I did there?) I took pause at this. Can someone really lie to you promising that something is there that isn't? Quite a quandary. Quite a quandary indeed. Shame on you C Howard.
Well they can't be all winners. Lets move on to the next-Oh crap it is another C Howards candy!
Wait a second, this candy looks very similar to the other only look at the lable!
No allusive mint mentioned? Now it is candy? Tropical candy? One can only assume that this is a different line of the same kind of candy from the same NY based company. So I opened the wrapper and it looked the same as the previous candy. I have to say that this flavor they captured much better than the lemon. That being said, it still isn't a great candy. Honestly I don't know who this is targeted for. People who grew up with Pez but dont want to rip the candy throat out of a pocket sized buggs bunny? Or which ever you had. The funny thing about Pez was that some people kept the hollow carcasses after they had reaped all they could while other tossed those right in the trash. I just imagine the Pez dispenser on the shelf at the candy store wondering what life will be like on the outside and if there is a shelf space for their afterlife or if it will just be landfill time for an eternity. DINOSAURS! What? Let us keep moving shall we?
Oh man, here we go. Italy. I don't recall having had a snack from Italy yet on the FOOrD BLOrG. This treat we found in NYC at the awesome Italian Market EATILY. Which if you go to NYC you have to go to this market it is pretty interesting to say the least. Now being that this is from Italy and Absinth flavored I am expecting the real deal. I have had pastilles before and Absinth as well. (The first time was when I was 21 djing an SnM party in Eugene Or but that story is for another day.) I will tell you upfront (incase you forgot) I don't like black licorice. That makes up a large part of the Absinth flavor. In this case that was the best part. Bummer.
This treat had 2 flavors. Anise and bitterness. Heavy on the bitterness. This thing was so bitter I didn't enjoy it as much as endure it. Afterwords I crammed a guava candy in my mouth just to erase the bitterness. This thing was not pleasant but I will say they were honest at what the experience was. It tasted like Absinth. Really bitter absinth. Now if you will excuse me I have some soul searching to do. (and by that I mean I need to bury these candies in an unmarked grave.)
WHOA THE WORMWOOD!!!! I can see dancing minty dinosaurs everywhere!!!!!

No comments: