Tuesday, August 17, 2010

.FOOrD BLOOrG. Something to chew on.

Gum, it is a timeless treat. Whether it be in ball, stick, or whatever shape a Chicklet is, gum is exciting for kids of all ages. Personally, I do not chew gum often but for the sake of nostalgia I composed todays experiment. As you can see above, our first gum is a classic. Bazooka has been around since around WW2 and is made by the TOPPS company. Which is why it tastes like the sticks of gum in TOPPS trading cards people bought in the 1980's. It is pink, hard, and tastes like what people would assume plain bubble gum tastes like. The weird thing for me is that the 'comic' wrapped around this gum is new?! Yeah, so somebody's job out there is to write Bazooka Joe comics. Really, seriously? Ok I don't think adding internet references to a comic that no kids identify with but whatever. I guess the Flintstone's Pebbles cereal will feature Fred djing on his ipodosaurus next. Moving on.
Found this at a Mexican market far out SE. Yep, it is Choco flavored bubble gum but it gets worse. It is chocolate flavored gum with a liquid center and THEN it has cake decorations glued to it. What a terrible terrible terrible idea.

1- It smelled like chocolate.

2- It crunched when I bit into it and then things took a turn for the worse.

3-The liquid oozed out and the texture of the gum was brittle and gag inducing.

4- After 6 full chews I gagged and spit it out into the garbage.

Don't chew this gum. Don't let your enemies chew this gum. Go eat the worst chocolate out there and it still won't be this aweful. Blech!!!! Who would have thought that chocolate flavored gum from Mexico would be bad?
This gum is inspired by "omikuji", which are wooden sticks with fortunes inscribed on them. As you can tell this treat comes from Japan. Not only do they have fortunes but some of them, the ones with bad fortunes, stain your mouth red. I am chewing one stick now. I don't read Japanese but this first stick was not unlucky as my mouth is not red. Time for stick 2.

1- Smells like powder and sugar.

2- Tastes like perfume. Light perfume.

3- Two sticks in and my mouth isn't red. I guess that is good luck.

It is not a secret that Japan's treats are usually more imaginative and sometimes way tastier. In this case, this gum kicks Bazooka Joe's butt all over the place and I don't even understand it. Seriously, look at this last picture and tell me 'What in the world is he saying?'.

No comments: